Tuesday 8 October 2013

Media Terms Glossary...

The pitch that I'm planning to deliver requires me to use media language and terms. In truth, I didn't feel entirely confident that I could use all the following words in their correct context. Consequently, I've decided to research the words meanings', making notes in my own words so that I can incorporate this language into my pitch and in my blog.

Realism: Whether it's real within the text.

Post-Modernism: What is presented is not realistic; open to criticism; "pomo"

Remix: Taking different elements to mash up different ideas.

Montage: Collection of footage, like a moving collage.

Editing: The way things are pieced together; pace, type, selection etc.

Representation: Something that has been constructed through process of mediation.

Symbolic: Something that means something else on a deeper level.

Camera: Angles, position, distance, movement.

Sound: Diegetic, non-diegetic, contrapuntal, parallel, ambient, narration.

Mise-En-Scene: Lighting, costume, make-up, props.

Verisimilitude: Measure of how realistic something is.

Iconic: Recognise something differently.

Hyper-reality: What we think is real is actually constructed, due to the media-saturated world in which we live in.

Finding out the meaning of these words has been extremely effective, ensuring that, in future, I can now confidently use more complex media terminology so that my pitch as well as my blog) can be more technically accurate in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment