Tuesday 21 January 2014

Research Reflections...

For the most part, my research is complete. I set a personal goal of myself to research 10 posters, 10 reviews, and 10 Vimeo "recommended" short films, all of which I've now done. This process was surprisingly long, but continuing my research alongside the production of my short film has helped to ensure that I continue learning and, as well as this, can see more directly how my research has helped influence me. 
Poster For a Film I've Looked At, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
From my poster reviews, I've understood how the most effective were often the most simplistic. A singular, captivating frame from the film helps engage the viewer's attention most effectively. Moreover, star ratings and quotes from critics adds to a sense of gravitas, critical acclaim reinforcing a sense of anticipation around the film. I've found that, nowadays, it's more fashionable to omit a credits list at the bottom of the poster, although actor's names are often included to sell a film's star appeal. Furthermore, an interesting, thought-provoking tagline can give a poster more of a lasting memory in the mind's of the viewers. These observations from my reviews have helped me to understand the conventions of a film poster, giving me ideas as to how to create my own.


Analysis of "The World's End" Review
The review part of my research has made me realise that review's have more rigid conventions. A set list of things-a-review-includes, such as still's from the film, star ratings as well as an area dedicated to basic information about the film (eg. running length, age classification etc.) are all apparent in review's, regardless of that film's genre. Consequently, I'm confident that if I can replicate these conventions in my own review, I'll have something that looks authentic. However, (and this applies to both review and poster), I feel as though I need to improve my Photoshop ability in order to make my tasks look more professional-looking.


A Short Film I've Looked At,  Entitled "Process"
The differences between my own short film and the short film's I've analysed have been incredibly apparent. For instance, live action short films have been much longer than the 5 minute running time. The ten that I've looked at have all been remarkably different, and of the 3 tasks I have to complete, it's by far the most diverse in terms of codes and conventions. What has been evident to me about short films is that there's often a minimalist plot, focusing more heavily on atmosphere and tone. I feel as though my own short film script is like this, which is a positive. Added to this, the cast's are small in size, often heavily focusing on one protagonist amongst an ensemble cast of three or four. This is another idea I've incorporated into my short film, and so therefore the review's of these short film's have shaped and influenced mu understanding of my own short film.

In summation, I've found the research period to be incredibly important; a lot of my musings on this research have implemented changes in the way that I've approached my own short film. As a result, I feel as though I should continue research, albeit now focusing more heavily on producing my own short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment