Tuesday 29 April 2014

Adobe Premiere Pro Skills #1: ProcAmp

This is the first in a series where I reflect upon technical skills I attained in my construction stage- in particular, post-production editing. Adobe Premiere Pro was a new piece of software for me, and I thought it pertinent to go over what I've learnt and solidify this learning by relaying it in this post. So, to begin, my attempts at turning the image black and white...



One of the key elements of my short film is flashbacks. Following a non-linear narrative, it was of fundamental importance to convey the past. Typically, flashback is conveyed through the use of black-and-white colouring, which is effective as it has indexical connotations of the past. I realised that I had no idea how to change the colouring of raw files. Through a correspondence with my teacher I learnt the following steps to take:
 

1) Highlight the clip you want to effect within your sequence and then click on the effects tab on Premiere Pro, searching for ProcAmp.

2) Click and drag ProcAmp onto the selected file.

3) Find ProcAmp on effect controls and look for 'Saturation'. At this point it's presumably '100' (see second image) meaning the clip currently will be in glorious Technicolor. Adjust this to '0' to change to black and white. #Yay!

Simple in retrospect, but half the trick of being able to use Premiere Pro is to know where to look, what effects to use and how to implement them. Using ProcAmp was an effect that was invaluable in helping me to achieve something close to the product I'd envisioned. Consequently, I'm pleased with my learning of this tool and can now use it in future.



Change Saturation to '0'

ProcAmp tool
















Creating a black-and-white...ProcAmp!

No comments:

Post a Comment