Thursday 1 May 2014

Adobe Premiere Pro Skills #2: Warp Stabilizer

For a sequence of shots in my film, I decided to use a handheld approach to reflect the growing chaotic nature for the main character in my film. With a lack of professional equipment to achieve this, such as a dolly, I carried the camera rested on my shoulder, in order to gain the smoothest shot possible. When editing, I found that the rushes weren't smooth enough and detracted from the action and the film's overall quality. Another tool I learned about was the warp stabilizer, which would aim to smooth out the shot.

I learned to use this tool from a Youtube video entitled "How to: Smooth moves from Shakey Footage" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p83KtXrxwNA) and this gave me the adequate understanding to know how to achieve this effect: the steps included:

1) Go to effects
2) Search "Warp Stabilizer"
3) Apply to the selected clip and wait for clip to buffer; this should smooth the motion.

The warp stabilizer worked effectively in my film. It added an unexpected feature that distorted the shots- in another context, this may have looked bad, but I felt the distortion effect the Warp Stabilizer provided reflected the tone and atmosphere of the sequence. 

Consequently, whilst I wouldn't in future shorts use warp stabilizer for distortion, I now know how to smooth out rushes in order to make a more professionally authentic short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment