Wednesday 25 September 2013

Deciding on a Production Brief!

Having thought carefully about each of the three briefs, I've come to the conclusion that the best choice for me would be the short film. Whilst there are pro's and con's to each, ultimately, the one that would allow me the most creative licence is the short film. I've endeavored to explore the positive and negative aspects that come with each brief, and why, consequently, I've found the short film task to be most appropriate for me:

Music video:

 Positives:

  • Unlike the short film, the music video doesn't necessarily need much of a plot in the same way that the short film would need. Therefore, the music video allows for a much more thematic form of storytelling as opposed to anything specific, which makes the planning process much easier.
  • There's an endless amount of shots that a music video could feature. As story-telling isn't at the forefront of a music video, this allows for more creative selection of shots.
Negatives:

  • Including the music within the video perhaps makes it difficult to get a theme or message across effectively, without the use of sound for protagonists for the majority of the video.
  • However, perhaps most importantly, is the fact that copyrighted music can't be used. The selection of copyright-free music is (in my opinion) poor, and I don't feel passionately about the music that we're able to use.

Advertisement for a product or service:


Positives:


  • The short length of an advertisement would make me more focused on the standard of the shots.
  • The ancillary task for the advertisement brief is interesting and, moreover, in all honesty this is the brief each of us are most knowledgeable about given the power of advertising that reaches us on a daily basis.
Negatives:

  • On the other hand, the short length of advertisements means that there isn't much room for mistakes. Comparatively, both the music video and short film briefs are able to act as more of a showcase of all my skills and abilities.
  • Personally speaking, my interests don't really lie in marketing or selling products. Therefore, this brief is not the appropriate choice for me.

Short film (of up to 5mins length):


Positives:


  • This is undoubtedly the one brief that is most unbound from the codes and conventions of its predecessors; in other words, the short film brief is the most imaginative and open to creativity.
  • A short film can include a variety of shots and film-making skills within its five minutes length.
  • The ancillary tasks appeal to me- my interest in photograph as well as an interest in reading  magazine reviews means that the production of a review and a poster look most interesting.
Negatives:

  • It's important to come up with a plot that can sustain a short film's length; therefore, I must be careful when storyboarding and planning my final product!

Overall, I feel pleased to select the short film production task; my interest in film-making means that this task is most appropriate to my personality and interests. Subsequently, I'm pleased to now get on with research and planning for my own short film...

No comments:

Post a Comment