Monday 25 November 2013

Target Audience

"Before"
It's important, in whatever sphere of Media production, to gauge a rough idea of who it is you want to target your product at. To determine a target audience for my short film, I must consider age, gender, ethnicity and occupation. This forces me to get an understanding of who it is that's likely to watch my short film, and so therefore the film's plot, themes as well as mise-en-scene, should all reflect who that target audience is. Consequently, I feel it's pertinent to look at who exactly my target audience is, and why I've chosen this demographic as my primary audience.
 
Age: My target audience in terms of age is between the years 25 to 45. I feel as though the bleak, dark tone of this film makes it appropriate for an older audience. The film's lack of action and violence may put off a teenage audience, but the implication of violence and murder perhaps won't be liked by a traditional, conservative pensioner demographic. Also the fact hat the film is set around a couple makes it more reliable to a middle aged target market. Whilst taking on a film with an older target market than my age may be a challenge, I knew from the off that this wasn't necessarily a teenage film.
 
Gender: Without meaning for this to sound like a cop-out, I genuinely feel this short film should be appropriate for both a male and female demographic. The lack of on-screen violence makes this more suitable for a female audience. However, I don't necessarily think this will be off-putting for a male audience; hopefully, it should be relatable for both men and women, and so therefore should be suitable for both genders.
 
Ethnicity: This film is targeted at a White British audience. The White British cast makes it more identifiable with this target audience, and, so while I firmly believe that any good film could be enjoyed by all ethnicities, in this respect my film is most likely targeted at a White British demographic.
 
Occupation: The complex, hematic nature of this film means that it's likely to be targeted at a more intelligent, wealthy target audience. The film's ambiguous, morally confused nature means that it's a demanding film on the audience's part. Consequently, it's not a film that's targeted at those looking for a popcorn film, and as a result of this, I would say this is a film targeted at those who are ready to think about this film and its message.

No comments:

Post a Comment